Inspiring our students, one by one
The Afghan Student Union was formed by a group of students to provide support to people in our community for pathways into education.
- Access to our team members who study a diverse range of courses and have experience in a variety of educational pathways.
- Receive information about top universities in the UK, courses, and apprenticeships based off our own studies and experiences.
- Instill ambitions and goals into members of our community to achieve extraordinary results and advancements in their chosen pathways.
Educating to foster success, for all
Our team consists of students who study a diverse range of subjects and are entering different career pathways
- Pairing up with a mentor who is a subject specialist in your desired pathway.
- 1-to-1 sessions and group workshops to further support you through your chosen pathway.
- Conferences and events to help expand your network and reach within the community.
Leading the next generation
We aim to be role models for future generations of Afghan students who want to enter higher education and provide them with as many opportunities and pathways as possible.
- Providing resources and opportunities to enhance your application into your chosen pathway.
- Referrals to external associations and companies who can provide further support with your subjects.
- Hosting events and conferences to help students gain deeper insights into the subject they study.
The AfSU Pathway
By joining AfSU with the purpose of seeking advice and support throughout your academic life, you will be provided with a plan that is catered towards your needs. The plan will start from the stage of your educational pathway that you are currently in, and below we describe potential opportunities which you can be involved in.
Students in this stage will be exposed to a range of career choices to get them prepared for their future prospects and routes they can take to achieve this, while receiving support with their GCSEs:
• Access to GCSE Tutoring
• Support with picking A-Levels and/or BTECs
• Exposure and Advice with Prospecting Careers
• Work Experience Opportunities and Career Workshops
Sixth Form and College
A focus on entry to higher education (University or Apprenticeships); students will receive more career-focused support built around their chosen subjects, while building the framework for their UCAS applications:
• Access to A-Level/BTEC Tutoring
• CV Assistance (Foundations and Skills)
• UCAS Application Support (University Choices, Personal Statement)
• Work Experience and Career-Specific Advice
• Admissions Test Preparation (BMAT, UCAT, LNAT and more)
Entering the next stage towards your career prospects, students will receive educational and pastoral support to make the most out of their time at university:
• Networking Opportunities through Events
• Careers Advice and Support
• Supercurricular Opportunities (e.g. Model United Nations)
• Spring and Summer Internships
• Further Education Prospects (e.g. Masters, Conversion Courses)
Frequently Asked Questions
We're here to support you as much as possible. Below is a list of general queries we get asked.
1. Is this service free?
We provide assistance to students in a variety of different forms. We provide:
- Discord Support (free of charge)
- Tuition Centre Support (packages available @ https://afsu.org/tuition)
- Support via social media, emails and other mediums available.
We try to offer free support where we can and on Discord we offer students the ability to send in their questions which our subject tutors answer and reply to where we can.
2. How do I join?
We currently operate using Discord, a new piece of software which allows for us to communicate with everyone easily. Students can submit support requests and get a response by an AfSU subject tutor as soon as one’s available. We aim to respond to requests as soon as possible. Our tuition services are available on https://afsu.org/tuition, and you can find out how to join Team AfSU as either: (a) a university society or (b) a student by clicking on the respective hyperlink.
3. What do we do?
We aim to support students with their academic journeys, UCAS applications and future careers plans. We’ve provided a comprehensive list of services we provide in earlier segments of this website too.
4. I'd like to join your team, how would I do this?
We welcome applications to join our team and assist in running our union. We hold many positions that require different skill sets, some positions are paid and some are voluntary. If you think you can help the AfSU community in any way, we encourage you to apply by clicking here!
5. How do I use Discord?
We are currently trialling Discord as the main platform for our software. For further help and advice in using Discord, we recommend you contact us directly on [email protected].